Summer is in full swing and so is the world of bold new nails. With summer tans, dewy skin, and most of us baring just a little bit more skin, now is the time to have your nails feel as fresh, flowery, and happy as the rest of you. Fashion trendsetters are getting daring with their nails, and this is the perfect time for the average gal to follow – after all if Beyoncé is doing it, it can’t be wrong, right?
Here’s a roundup of the top nail trends for the summer of 2013.
1. Mermaid Fresh or Girly Gone – It’s summer time and the living is easy, so why not reflect that by choosing a shade that matches your mood. Feeling girly? Check out the newest pastels for something to highlight your softer side. Is your inner mermaid singing a siren song? Then be sure to check out the Mediterranean inspired shades of blue and green. Need something that goes with a great white – jeans that is? Purple might be just what you need. What’s great is that all of these colors really pop against tan skin and white accents, like sandals or capris.
2. Bling it out – Don’t be afraid to shine. It’s time to sparkle. Try enhancing your nail color with anything that glimmers. Rhinestones and glitter gems are the new accents of choice. Don’t be afraid to bejewel your nails with a bit of bling.3. Orange You Bold – Orange is the new black, or so it would seem. Orangey hues from the traditional coral to fiery tiger and any shade in between are all the rage. Every major brand like OPI and China Glaze has a full line of orangey colors to choose from, so you can have a lot of fun experimenting.
4. A Picasso for You – Nail art is no longer shocking, in fact the bolder the better. Consider your nails mini canvases and get started creating (or have created) masterpieces. Definitely think modern over the classics. Whether it’s a Salvador Dali inspired surrealist look or something out of a Georges Seurat, the funkier the better. Need some inspiration? Check out images of nail art online to help you narrow down your style.
5. Magnetic Nail Polish – Perhaps it’s inspired by the character from X-Men but this newest nail trend of 2013 is polish with actual magnetic properties built in. It’s a two-step process – first you apply the polish, let it dry and apply a second coat. Using the built in magnet (on the top of the bottle), you hold it over the nail to create a metallic, wavy effect that’s different every time. Check out Sally Hansen magnetic nail polish collection for colors.
6. Ombre Nails – remember the ombre hair trend that spiked across the land awhile back? Well it’s back – but this time it’s your nails that are getting the treatment. Best thing about it? It’s not nearly as permanent. To try out this trend, start with a light shade over your whole nail, then add a darker color towards the tip and blend together with a sponge for the perfect ombre look.
7. White, Sheer and Opaque – Not quite sure you’re the colorful type? Don’t you worry; plenty of the fashionista crowd have been spotted with white or opaque nails. This is very of the moment and if you do work in a more conservative environment, this could be the perfect way for you to express your style without appearing too far ahead of the crowd. Just be sure your nails are well groomed before trying out this look – the white polish tends to highlight imperfections.
8. What’s the Shape of the Moment? Thankfully for most of us working gals, pointy is out and oval is in. Oval is a great shape for the summer since it’s a little shorter and less likely to break. Perfect when you’re getting sand beneath your toes – or under your nails when you’re called into an impromptu game of beach volleyball.
Nail polish and nail art is a fun quick way to add a little pizzazz to your outfit and your outlook. After all nothing says luxury like a fresh mani-pedi. And whether you’re a salon girl or a DIY gal, the outbreak of bold, happy colors this summer is going to make you want to be a little bit more daring this season. So grab your beverage, your lawn chair and pull up to some fun.
Looking to freshen up your nail polish for summer? Nail Polish and More is giving away free shipping on all orders over $100 until the end of August. Click here to see the hottest new products at the online superstore.